Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Adoration

"Almighty One! I bend in dust before Thee; Even so veiled cherubs bend; In calm and still devotion I adore Thee, All-wise, all-present Friend! Thou to the earth its emerald robes hast given, Or curtained it in snow; And the bright sun, and the soft moon in Heaven, Before Thy presence bow. Thou Power sublime! whose throne is firmly seated On stars and glowing suns; O, could I praise Thee, -could my soul, elated, Waft Thee seraphic tones, - Had I the lyres of angels, -could I bring Thee An offering worthy Thee, - In what bright notes of glory would I sing Thee, Blest notes of ecstasy! Eternity! Eternity! how solemn, How terrible the sound! Here, leaning on thy promises, -a column Of strength, -may I be found, O, let my heart be ever Thine, while beating, As when 'twill cease to beat! Be Thou my portion, till that awful meeting When I my God shall greet!" -Sir John Bowring, 1792-1872

2 comments:

Kat said...

Thank you for sharing this worshipful poem with us. Our Lord is worthy of all praise and glory!

Jess said...

thank you for sharing that - it encouraged me today! love you!
jess :)